top of page

Guide to Mold

Mold is something that we all come across from time to time. It is a naturally occurring microorganism that is much closer to animals in comparison to plants. Mold grows when water and moisture fuel it. Mildew and mold are considered the same thing. They only have certain differences in terms of shape and color.

The thing about mold is that it digests everything that comes in its way. It breaks everything down in order to consume it. Not many people know that mold is actually used in agriculture, medicine, and environmental protection. In addition to this, the food industry also uses it. When we look at the different species of mold, there are more than 100,000 of them. Unlike what you might be misled into believing, mold is definitely not a poison.

Mycotoxins are produced by certain mold types to cause a toxic response such as upper respiratory irritations. It is possible for dead mold to cause irritations. Humans are exposed to mold from the food they eat to the air they breathe. Mold is considered an official health hazard. It weakens the immune system.

By controlling the humidity level, it is possible to prevent mold from growing. It is possible that it is not visible when present in an elevated level.

Why Does Mold Grow In Your House?

Mold commonly grows outdoors on firewood. It comes in different colors such as white, black, green and yellow as you might already know. Mold is a part of the natural ecosystem. When we look at the outdoors, mold plays a vital role in nature. It effectively breaks down dead organic matter like dead trees and fallen leaves.

On the other hand, when we look at indoors, mold growth must be prevented. Tiny spores help the mold to reproduce. These spores are invisible to our naked eye. They can float in the indoor and outdoor air. When mold spores end up landing on a surface that is wet, they start to grow indoors. Although there are plenty of different types of mold, none of them can grow without moisture or water.

Can Mold Cause Health Problems?

Usually, molds do not cause problems indoors. It is only when the mold spores land on a damp or wet spot that they start to grow. As the mold grows, it has the potential to affect your health. It produces allergens which cause allergic reactions and tend to potentially be toxic. If you touch or inhale mold spores, you would experience an allergic reaction.

Some of the allergic responses to mold include hay fever-type symptoms like skin rash, red eyes, runny nose, and sneezing. It is quite common to experience an allergic reaction to mold. The reaction can either be delayed or immediate. Some people might also go through an asthma attack due to mold. Furthermore, mold exposure irritates the lungs, throat, nose, skin, and eyes.

How Can You Get Rid of Mold?

As mold grows, it can destroy things. To prevent the mold from growing all you have to do is to control moisture. That will help eliminate mold growth.

#mold #moldspores #moldallergy #mildew

bottom of page